Chicken & Wild Rice Soup of LOVE
I want to share with you an amazing and simple Chicken & Wild Rice Soup it’s thick and creamy, but has no cream at all just a little milk. This made with love Happy Diabetic Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is light and nourishing and quite easy to make. The rice adds great texture and flavor. Freeze this one to have on hand when you are pressed for time. Top with toasted almonds and thinly sliced green onions to add a final flair or even some fresh spinach during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
What’s in it?
- 2 Olive Oil
- 1 Medium onion or small diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- ½ each teaspoon dried thyme, rosemary,
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1 cup wild/brown rice blend
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup corn starch
Let’s Put it together:
- Let’s put it together!
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, season with pepper, then cook until nice and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and herbs then cook for 3 more minute.
- Add chicken broth then bring to a boil. Add chicken breast halves and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes, remove the chicken to a bowl and let cool. When they are cool enough to handle dice the chicken not ¼ inch dices, no need to be so exact. Add wild/brown rice blend to the pot then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk with cornstarch until smooth. Now, slowly drizzle the milk mixture into soup while stirring. It will thicken slightly. Add chicken then simmer soup for 10 more minutes uncovered and serve.
- Season with some fresh ground pepper
- If the soup is not as thick as you like you can mix ¼ cup milk and a tablespoon of corn starch and add that to the soup slowly. What to thick…no worries add a little chicken broth or milk or even a little water.
- That’s it let’s eat!
We are changing the way you eat one recipe at a time!