- 6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Take the tomatoes, cut them in halves or quarters, and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also, cut out and discard the stem area. I like plum tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes. The skins are much thicker, and there are fewer seeds and less juice.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. While the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. 3. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 T extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette at a diagonal, about ½ inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. Once the oven has reached 450°F, place a tray of bread slices in the oven on the top rack. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn nice and golden brown. Place the bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up.
- Place some topping on each slice of bread and serve. If you top each slice with the tomatoes, do it right before serving to keep the bread from getting soggy. I like to top them with a small ball of fresh mozzarella. Serves 10.
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 8.51
- Carbohydrates: 8.87
- Sugar: 4,43
- Fiber: 2.08
- Protein: 2.01