Curry is a dish originating in the cuisine of Indian Subcontinent and Asia . The common feature is the incorporation of complex combinations of spices or herbs, usually including fresh or dried hot chillies . Some limit the use of the term curry to dishes prepared in a sauce,but curries may be “wet” or “dry”. A curry dish may be spiced with leaves from the Curry tree, but many curries do not have this ingredient.
Most curry powder recipes include coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and chili peppers in their blends. Depending on the recipe, additional ingredients such as ginger, garlic, asafoetida, fennel seed, caraway, cinnamon, clove, mustard seed, green cardamom, black cardamom, nutmeg, long pepper, and black pepper may also be included. Quality curry powder will contain curry leaf. However, the Portuguese importation of the chilli pepper from Brazil and their mixing of other Asian spices enabled the development of ‘curi’.
My go-to curry uses curry powder and an ingredient inspired by Chef Marcus Samuelson…diced pear!
Taking The Mystery Out of Curry, The Happy Diabetic Way!
Author: Chef Robert Lewis
“This is an adaptation of yellow chicken curry from India. The aromas and flavors are a delight to the senses! It is best served with fresh Naan bread and Jasmine or Basmati rice.”
- 2- 3-4 ounce Chicken breasts cut up evenly
- 2- small chicken breasts
- 3 chopped carrots ½ pieces
- 1 large onion
- 1 small can of coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tomatoes
- 3-4 table spoons od curry powder
- 2 star anis
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 T ginger chopped
- 1 T Garlic chopped
- 1 firm pear
- Canola or olive oil
- Place the onions and garlic and ginger in a large skillet or wok, over medium-high heat. stirring often until the onions are very golden.
- Add all the chicken, tomatoes, curry powder, spices, carrots and cook until it make a thick paste, stirring occasionally of a few minutes. Increase the heat to high and add the water and coconut milk and simmer.
- Add the and lime juice
- Add the diced peeled pears
- Simmer for a few moments
You can serve the curry with rice or Serve it with my Don’t fear the risotto recipe